Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Potpourri

Our house doesn't always smell lemony fresh or like fresh baked apple pie.  Let's be real here, we have two dogs and a sweet little girl so there is usually dirt, mud, whatever else the dogs roll or step in, dirty diapers, and spit-up around somewhere in here.  I wanted something that would put off a nice subtle smell that might compensate for the not so great aromas floating around.  Since I decided this later on in the day and I'm not a fan of waking a sleeping baby, I looked around our house for whatever we might have to help and spotted some roses that I had let dry up. So, I decided to make some homemade potpourri.  I already had essential oils on had and I wasn't necessarily worried about making it the right way.  Here's what I did:  pour a few drops of whatever essential oils I wanted (fragrance oils would probably work just as well) on to the dried flowers (crushed cinnamon or something similar might also work if you wanted something else to add to the scent), sealed them in the mason jar for a little while (apparently the suggested time is four to six weeks and mix it up just about every day...I looked that up, but was too impatient to wait), and then I just opened the mason jar and set it near our front door.  Even though I didn't wait the whole four to six weeks the flowers smelled great and helped with the stinky diaper smell, plus I didn't have to wait around for my house to smell nice!


Kasie

No comments:

Post a Comment